Wednesday 2 February 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Layer Cake

I took a whim the other day and decided to make my brother a birthday feast. It involved this cake. Undoubtedly the best cake I've ever made. And it was completely Gluten Free! I grew up watching my mum struggle with Celiac disease and believe me the range of food available is leaps better than it used to be. Still, it's hard to get stuff like cakes and bread right due the lack of stretchy goodness given by Gluten. However nowadays tescos do a great range of GF flours and as long as you remember to keep the batter a bit wetter than usual any cake recipe can be adapted to suit your needs. I used a basic chocolate sponge of 200g flour/butter/sugar & 3 eggs and 2 tblsp of cocoa powder for each cake layer. A wee bit of vanilla can be used to loosen up the batter if necessary and add an extra depth of flavour. These cakes don't tend to rise as much as normal sponges which is pretty much how we can get away with having 2 large sponges like that. I have to admit though I makes a pretty big cake once you add the butter cream and the frosting! And then we have the frosting. Pretty much the star of the show and my greatest nemesis. I never get frostings right. Disaster is the usual ending! But this time it was kismet. The butter & sugar creamed properly for the buttercream center. The ganĂ¢che (made with 500g plain Gluten Free chocolate & just short of 250ml soya cream) set perfectly and I was even able to a use small amount of it to flavour the butter cream for the middle of the cake! Bish bash bosh and with the help of some vegan Chocolate buttons & a few curls we have cake. Very chocolatey cake. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment