Sunday 31 October 2010

The obligatory Halloween Cupcakes.

This is my first ever attempt at proper cupcake decorations. Previously I've just used buttercream toppings or had topping disasters and just eaten the cakes on their own! But today was all about decoration so i'll justify my quick cheat of using Dr Oetker's cupcake mix. The mix by the way is a great timesaver! I tend to make my cakes too light & soft so it was nice to have a proper cake to work on for once!

I made a cream cheese frosting and & tried to colour it orange however as I discovered food colourings do not adhere to the rules of primary colours. Red & yellow does not make orange. It make either pink or dark yellow, I went with latter.

After letting them set I then moving onto the design. This is where I discovered that cream cheese frosting is not the sturdiest surface to create icing decorations. Won't be doing that again!

But I think I did alright considering. One of the spiders & the skull are done by two male friends who decided that decorating was easy. They learnt their lesson quickly!

It's going to take some practice but i one day I'll create a truly pretty cupcake! With no mistakes! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment